Healthy teeth play a significant role in your personality. Good and healthy teeth are a blessing of God. You should never neglect any problem associated with the teeth and jaws. Always take care of your teeth and if any problem occur like dental infection, swelling and dental trauma, you must deal with the problem immediately.
First of alone, you need to know to what is a dental emergency or what conditions make you seek emergency dental care? Injuries of mouth include teeth that are avulsed or knocked out or teeth fractured (forced out of position or loosened). Oral injuries like ruptured of lips, cheeks or gums are also associated with emergency dental care and when the condition is painful then it should be treated urgently.
Accidents are the part of life. In a case of any serious dental injury, it should be your priority to consult first with your dentist. Most dentists have reserve time for emergencies in their daily schedule. So call your dentist and take necessary information to deal with the problem. Dental treatments are costly however there is no need to afraid from its expenses. There are many dentists available who are affordable. It’s your choice whom you visit.
When to See your Dentist?
If you have got tooth injury or oral injury then you need to get to the dentist within 30 minutes to save your tooth or to avoid any big loss. Therefore seeing the doctor is important.
What to do when the tooth is knocked out?
When you suffer from this type of emergency situation then you should call your dentist immediately and get an emergency appointment. You need to handle the tooth by its crown and not from root because touching the root of teeth will injure the cells which are necessary for bone reattachment. You should immediately wash with normal water in order to remove any kind of dirt but do not scrub. If unfortunately the teeth are gone then you should wrap the in a clean cloth and make sure that it won’t dries out so you need to immerse in saliva or milk whatever is possible at that time.
What to do when the tooth is pushed out of position?
Whenever your tooth is pushed out of its position then you need to make an attempt to reposition to its normal alignment with very light finger pressure but keep in mind that do not force the tooth. You should bite down to keep the keep in firm position.
What to do when the tooth is fractured?
First of all, you need to rinse your mouth with warm water. You should use the cold compress or ice pack to reduce the swelling. Do not use aspirin? Instead, use ibuprofen as a pain killer. Immediately go to your dentist for a proper tooth checkup because only he can tell you how bad is tooth break or how to cope with such emergency situation.
In the case of minor fracture you need to leave your teeth but take the advice of dentist so that your teeth can be smoothed. If it is minor fracture then it will be totally cured after several days. In the case of moderate fractures such as damage to enamel or dentin or nerve, tissues dentist will do the proper treatment. Damage tooth can be restored with the permanent crown in case the pulp is not permanently damaged. In the case of severe fractures, it becomes difficult for the dentist to save your teeth.
What to do when the tissue is damaged?
If an injury happens inside the mouth such as tears, punctures or wounds to the cheeks, tongue or lips, the wound should be cleaned with normal water and emergency care is needed for injured person. Bleeding of the tongue can be minimized by pulling the tongue forward using the gauze to put pressure on the wound.
How to be prepared for the dental emergency?
You should have a dental emergency kit which includes dentist’s phone number, clean cloth, ibuprofen, gauze and small container.
Here are some useful tips that will help you to know that what to do when a dental emergency occur.
Use these tips to know what to do when a dental emergency occurs.
- If your tooth has broken, react quickly and collect its broken pieces together. Gather all the missing dental pieces carefully. Resin your mouth with the warm water and clean it. Apply a cold compress to your face to minimize the swelling. Visit the emergency room of dentist along with broken tooth pieces. Your dentist will see the broken parts of you tooth, and he/ she will try to restore them if possible.
- If your tooth has knocked out, then your priority should be to locate the tooth and handle it with the crown. Wash your mouth with warm water and don’t try to scrub or clean the knocked out tooth. Take some regular water or a cup of milk, add a pinch of salt into it and keep the tooth in it. Try to place your tooth back in the socket of your mouth, holding the tooth in a proper way. It’s all depends upon you to reach your dentist in time. In this way, there will be a chance for your dentist to restore your tooth again.
- In a case of bitten lip or tongue, use a cold compress to reduce swelling. If any bleeding is there in your mouth, then visit the dentist in the emergency room as quickly as possible.
- If you have a severe toothache, resin your mouth with the warm water. Clean your mouth completely to remove food particles or debris as these things increase the pain. Don’t try to use aspirin on your mouth gums or gums tissues. Call your dentist immediately and take necessary information to reduce your tooth pain as soon as possible.
- Visit your dentist immediately if you have a fracture in your jaws. Use a cold compress to reduce swelling and pain.
- Broken wire or a loose from braces creates the problem in your mouth and become a cause for damaging the surrounding tissues. Use orthodontic wax to the loose or broken wire and cover the sharp or jagged ends. If a wire has struck in your tissues, then don’t try to remove it. Visit your dentist for necessary treatments.